Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Decisions, decisions

My Connecticut sister is living through the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. She went out early on Monday. She found a merchant that had 72 generators and five pages of names on their wait list. She had a feeling she would be one of the fortunate ones, so she sat on a sand bag outside the store for three hours until her name was called. That was a high point...running out of milk, bread, and peanut butter is a low point. She says she can go without eating, but she worries about the rest of her family. Cell phone coverage is sketchy, at best. I try to provide moral support. This is one of those times when you take it one minute at a time.

Apparently, September is hurricane preparedness month. I thought that came in June. So, fellow Floridians, prepare for a hurricane. You can download the Suncoast Hurricane Guide at http://www.mysuncoast.com.  On the web site, click on The Official Suncoast Hurricane Center tab on the left. This will take you to another page where you will have access to an online version and a PDF version of the 2011 Hurricane Guide.  Pick one before it's too late and you're scrambling.

I started my own search for a generator. Besides all the usual overwhelming questions, the question arises to select between a portable or standby generator. From what I read, both require maintenance. I was looking at a portable version over the last few days. The price on that one just increased $70.00. Is that a sign of things to come? Then there is the issue of the transfer switch, hiring an electrician, and so on and so forth. It's a project...albeit one that is best done before the need arises. A little charcoal grill might even be nice to have. I had a propane Weber grill, but on the spur of the moment, I gave it away to someone looking for a grill on http://freecycle.org.

The cardiac cath lab at MMH has been busy for the call team this week. I was on call Monday and Tuesday. When I went to work on Tuesday, Dennis, one of my favorite colleagues, asked if I was on call. I said, "No! I was on call Monday and the weekend." Much to my surprise, I was on call. I need the hours, so no complaints here.

Around sunset when I was leaving MMH on Tuesday

Before sunrise when I was going to MMH today

I did a case in the Electrophysiology Lab this morning. While I was over there, I was informed by Liz, one of the other nurses, that the call team plus two staff would be staying today. Everyone else was being sent home. I wasn't on call, so I volunteered to be one of the two who would stay. The case finished, I wrapped up the last loose ends, and went over to the cath lab to see what needed to be done. There were two other cases, but they weren't scheduled until later.  The supervisor saw me, not that I was hiding. With her eyes bulging out of her head and her voice as nasty as she could possibly make it, she barked, "I only need the call team. I do NOT need any more help!" Hmm, what suddenly happened to the call team plus two. Am I a mind reader? Would I even want to be able to read that mind? I wanted to say, "Oh Honey, you're wrong. Without a doubt, you need help, but you're also correct, it's NOT any kind of help that I can give you." Talking professional psychiatric help here. Go get some, take your medication, and sit down! I have to say, her behavior is so disturbing that it begs the question, "Is she receiving a bonus for being hateful or does she come by it naturally?" 

I was talking to John last week. He's a rep that does a lot of cases at MMH. He's also a nurse and he's one of the most skilled professionals I know. I mentioned that I'm going to write a book and added, "They're all going down." We laughed and he said, "You are? So am I! We should compare notes." I promptly replied, "No, we should not compare notes. In fact, I'll have to get out of town before my book gets published." 

I try to be discriminating; however, the lines are beginning to blur about what goes in the book and what goes in this blog. I have a feeling the foregoing was slotted for the book. I might have to leave town sooner than expected. What a pity, especially when the morning started out so pretty. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment