Wednesday, August 10, 2011

This is a not good time for a melt down

Well, I was off living my rich fantasy life and gathering new blogging material. My task now will be not to overwhelm you with information. Given the amount of driving I've been doing, it's a miracle I'm even here at all. Florida continues to abound with the creepers and weavers, and I seem to spend most of my time in "invisible mode" whether I'm in my car or on my bike. Of course, I have a horn on the car if I can't get out of the way of the weavers, but my tinkling little bike bell is decidedly ineffective against the weavers who find their way into the bike lane. Your smart phone has a ring tone "bike bell," and yeah, that's how my bike bell sounds. See what I mean?

The Nirve made it out of the Village Bike shop and I finally went out for a 15 mile ride on Saturday. I came in after 14.2 miles to get a drink. It was hotter than hell and I was getting parched. Some young entrepreneurs had a lemonade stand on the corner, but I had no money, so I had to go home to get a drink. Later, when I went out again, this time with money, I did indeed support the local entrepreneurs. We had a chat and it was fun to interact with the kids.

In case you haven't noticed, the days are getting shorter. This is great for me because I get to see the sunrise, once again, every morning. It will be like that for a little while longer. This is the sunrise from this morning, in case you missed it.




By now you know there's trouble on Wall Street related to the current economic challenges. Yes, your stocks and your 401k are taking a dump. I received an email the other day encouraging us to "embrace risk." Frankly, I'd rather embrace risk by skydiving or bungee jumping. My money has been at risk just one time too many.

That being said, this is good advice. Try not to go into panic mode and don't do anything while you are feeling desperate. Turn off the TV and tune out the doomsayers. Take a walk or a bike ride. Clear out the cobwebs, because this too will pass. We're strong and we will survive...like the Gloria Gaynor song!

Hmmm, or should we take Timothy Leary's advice, "Turn on, tune in, drop out." What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment