Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Watch out for bikers

This morning, the drive to MMH was rather carefree and fun. I reflected on the numbers we did last night at the restaurant and Deb's latest health find, Dr. Oz's "Brain" cubes. The weavers and creepers desperately clutching their cell phones and Starbucks did not affect me. The sky was blue and pink and I captured a postcard perfect picture of the sunrise on my way into the hospital. To make things better than ever, the National Debt Crisis was resolved (for now) and my bike was ready. Essentially, that means two fewer reasons for sleepless nights. Oh happy bedtime!

I picked up the bike after work. For once, I wasn't bothered by leaving work early. As soon as Ralph unloaded it for me, I took it out for a short ride around the subdivision. OMG! The ride was so quiet and smooth, that I shouted with joy. A neighbor teenager happened to be sitting on the hood of a car in her driveway, so I gave her a big smile and enthusiastic wave. I'm sure she thought I was just some crazy adult who lost her driver's license and finally had wheels in the form of a bike.

I was only gone for a few minutes because I had to put on my bell, basket, and bike computer that I removed before I took the bike in for repairs. That took about 30 minutes. I also called the Village Bike Shop to share my joy and the manager thanked me for calling and said, "Typically, we only hear the negative, so it's good to hear the positive for a change."

I headed out for my usual 15 mile ride. As I was getting ready to turn left to leave my street, a car was turning right into my street. No harm done; however, I didn't see the car behind that car so I wound up crossing in the second car's path. The driver wasn't too happy because as soon as I was out of the way, he sped up and went roaring through the subdividision. Really? The speed limit is 30 mph, so that little show of pedal to the metal wasn't necessary. Apparently, some people just don't like bikers.

I wasn't out there very long, and as I went northeast, I noticed the sky getting darker. Sure enough, I felt one rain drop. I debated about what to do as I kept riding farther from home. Dark clouds mean only one thing in Florida, especially during the rainy season. Despite that, I figured I take my chances. Then it started to drizzle. No choice but to speed it up and take the shortest route back home. After all, I have that sophisicated equipment on my bike, i.e, bell, basket, BlackBerry, and bicycle computer, and riding in the rain just isn't my idea of a good time. OK, only the last two items are sophisicated. I don't want my belongings to get ruined if it can be prevented and wet T-shirts are just messy unless someone is buying drinks. I made it home, slightly out of breath, but dry.

Ralph was surprised to see me back so soon. I explained about the rain. He looked out the window and without hesitation emphatically said, "The sky is clear." What? Is he trying to be competition for John Scalzi?

Well, that was here at the house. I was a couple miles northeast of here. Twenty minutes later the sun was out. Like I said yesterday, "Don't ask Ralph."

No comments:

Post a Comment