Friday, August 19, 2011

Yin and yang

My zen gardening reflects my hectic and chaotic life rather than serenity and tranquility. I grew two pineapples this summer. One was rotten by the time it was picked, and the other one was sweet, tasty, and made me wish for more. Could that be yin and yang? Nevertheless, next year I'll do better and pick them on time. 

My angel's trumpet was sadly infested with two different kinds of bugs and my soapy water mixture was not helping. The bugs got so out of control that I pruned the plant all the way back and I bagged the buggy leaves and tossed them in the trash. I was concerned my desert roses would be affected. So far, the desert roses look beautiful. The bigger of the two is blooming steadily. Maybe I won't through in the trowel after all.

                                                   I think it's going to survive.

Regarding my other passion, biking, last night I not only waited for five minutes, I waited for two hours for the weather to clear. I left at 1915 for my bike ride. I said to myself, "Self, it's late. You won't get in 16 miles. Sun sets at 2011. Best to be home before then. Just be glad you're getting any kind of ride in."

One road led to another, I rarely listen to those inner voices in my head, I was having a grand time, and I wasn't watching the clock. Suddenly, though, I was watching the clouds, hearing the thunder, seeing the lightening, and ultimately feeling the rain drops. I figured it would pass like it did the other night. It didn't pass. It got darker and darker, and then it was raining, a lot. It was very dark, and since I don't have a light on my bike, I couldn't take the fastest route home. The fastest route was in the street without a bike lane. I've already told you about the weavers, creepers, and how most of the time I am invisible to drivers and other walkers, joggers, and bikers. Sometimes my cloak of invisibility lifts, but since I want to live, I wasn't taking any chances. I took the long and safe way home.

      This is how it looked at 1945. 
It was black by the time I pulled in my driveway at 2045.

In the end I completed a 12.57 mile ride, about three miles in the rain. I was fairly wet when I got home, but it wasn't as bad as I always figured getting caught riding in the rain would be. I said to myself, "Self, you think you're brave, perhaps you're stupid." I didn't feel stupid, but I was cold.

When Ralph got home from work he looked at the thermostat. He said, "What's going on in here?" I explained I was cold from riding in the rain. The thermostat was set on 83 degrees. He was hot and neither amused nor sympathetic and turned on the A/C. I took a hot shower and called it a night. Could this be more yin and yang?


No comments:

Post a Comment