Thursday, September 1, 2011

Let's face it, I'm a prostitute

OK, I'm using the term metaphorically, as Holden Caulfield used it about his brother, D.H., in 'The Catcher in the Rye.' Everyday I wake up around 0530, get dressed, and put on make-up to go to to a job that I hate with people I barely tolerate to do work that I enjoy.


Let's face it, I can save lives anywhere, but MMH is familiar and comfortable. So, I'm there strictly for the money. It's all about the money and my current goal to pay off that huge restaurant loan in four to five years. This way, I'll be free of that yoke around my neck, and if there's no retirement money, I'll deal. I'll still travel when I retire, I'll just stay in cheap hotels and drink cheap beer.


The job has some redeeming qualities, like the 401(k), stock program, pre-tax catch-up, and my co-workers Money Manager, Raingirl, Princess, Death's Door, and Kickboxer. I can live without Bi Polar, Pokemon, God Complex, ADD, and Rebound Man. Now that I see it in print, the scales might be tipped in favor of more good than bad. I guess that's a good thing!

And speaking of make-up, Betty Davis as Baby Jane from the movie showed up a few times. Too much blush, eye shadow down the side of my face, and enough powder caked in every line and wrinkle to make me look like my Grand-mom Tweedie. Grand-mom, I love you and rest in peace. I have your knees, but I always thought I had Grand-mom Sperlunto's skin. It's alarming turning into one's mother; it's daunting turning into one's Grandmother.

Just before sunrise

It's dark now when I wake up, so I don't put on the bright bathroom lights. I try to wake up gradually. I don't want to shock my system, thus I've been using the low bathroom lights. I got the brainstorm that if I use too much blush, I can disguise it with powder. That was a very bad idea. When I arrived at work and saw Grand-mom Tweedie staring back at me, I almost fainted. There was nothing to do but spend the day like that. The only reason I even wear powder is to tone down the shine from the greasy sunscreen, which is purported to be non-greasy. I have to wear the sunscreen because a ray of sunshine might hit my face as I walk from the hospital to the garage. It's always something. Now I use a tiny swipe of blush and a few strokes of powder. If I'm pale and a little shiny, so what? The other is far worse.

Plus it's all about the money. Is that wrong? Am I a prostitute? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment