Sunday, August 21, 2011

Business is increasing and Carrie finds a check

Heart disease must be well maintained in Bradenton, because the cardiac cath lab was slow on Friday and we were all kicked to the curb by 1200, even the call team. I was part of the call team. There was a scheduled case for Saturday, and I was hoping not to get called in for the rest of the weekend. So much for hope, because we were called in at 2215 on Friday night, just as I was unwinding and considering a shower. Perhaps heart disease isn't so well maintained after all.

On Friday afternoon, I called Deb at the restaurant around 1640. I was due to be there by 1700. There were torrential rains in Sarasota at the time of my call, so I was reluctant to leave. I can drive in torrential rains, as well as snow, sleet, hail, and whatever else Mother Nature throws our way, but the rest of the Floridians, not so much. We've already covered the weavers and creepers on another post. Deborah had a delivery pending. Since that was the case, I told her I would leave and recommended she stay in the restaurant to keep things under control in case it got busy.

When I pulled into the restaurant, all the parking spaces were taken, except for one space down by Bruce's Taxi. I parked there. For some reason, I figured all the spaces were taken by the accounting office, which is weird, since it isn't even tax season.

Imagine my surprise when I walked in the restaurant and all the tables were full! I made an announcement thanking everyone for coming in and stated, "I can cry because I am so happy to see all of you!" Everyone was pleased and the night continued in the same way...and into Saturday and Saturday night! So, we just completed the best week we've had since early May. Thank you God and people. We are all very grateful and elated!


This is Frank and his family. They come in every Friday night. We put table one and table two together to accommodate what is typically a party of seven to eleven people. On Friday, there was a table of two sitting at table one which prevented putting the tables together. The diners graciously offered to move to table three, and we comped their beer. Everyone was happy!

Frank Jr's face lights up as soon as he sees Ralph. In fact, he looks clear through me to see Ralph, which is a blow to my ego. I consider myself to be a beautiful woman....but then Frank Jr isn't there for a beautiful woman; he's there for great food, so thus his joy in seeing Ralph!

                                    Is this not the face of a beautiful woman?
                                                     OK, NOT.
                           But this was right after donating blood and I just wanted to die!

Frank Sr times me when I go on delivery. Once when I left on delivery, I told him I would take a long time because this particular customer loves me and hasn't seen me for awhile; therefore, the customer would want to hug and talk to me. Yes, there are some customers who prefer me over Ralph! Anyway, the whole table awaits my return and Frank Sr gives me my time. I threw him for a loop this week when I got back in two minutes. I hand carried food to Bruce's Taxi, which is right down from us. Of course, I'm not telling, I just let them think I am super fast.

In addition to all that, we previewed the new Great Balls of Fire appetizer. They were a big success with the customers who tried the free samples. Of course, Ralph, Deb, and I loved them because we love hot and spicy food! It also comes in a sub and pasta dinner.

                                    Great Balls of Fire Appetizer for $5.29

Some of you will remember my biking travails from last month. After the warranty work was completed by the Village Bike Shop, I sent email to Mark, the customer service rep at Nirve, requesting reimbursement. He agreed to send a check. I remembered all this on Friday night as I was trying to fall asleep. It seemed like the check should have been here. I have this penchant for throwing mail unopened into the recycling bin. I figured there would have been a Nirve return address that I would have seen and I would then have kept that piece and not recycled it.

When I came down from my room on Saturday morning, I saw a white piece of paper laying the the drive way. I thought it must be a flyer from someone offering to spruce up my zen garden and didn't give it another thought. A little later when I was in the garage and getting ready to leave for MMH, I saw a post card that I must have dropped when I brought in the mail on Friday night. It was at that point that I reconsidered what the white paper was in the middle of the driveway and went out to retrieve it. Right, it was the check from Nirve. I don't know how it wasn't blown away in the torrential rains we had that night, but I'm sure happy it wasn't.

So, with the dramatic increase in business at Carmella's Casa Italiana and finding the wet Nirve check in the driveway, I pretty much believe that God is watching out for me. Sometimes I tend to forget that. How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment