Saturday, April 13, 2013

Food, facts, and other paraphernalia

I don't know where the time goes......all I know is that my head is spinning, and that's a good thing. Both the hospital and restaurant are busy, so once again, let me say I'm blessed.

All that aside, due to our conflicting schedules, Ralph and I rarely share a meal, so we have a Sunday morning ritual of having a late breakfast together. I make Finnish pancakes or he makes chocolate chip pancakes. This year we missed a record number of Sundays because I was on-call at Manatee Memorial Hospital (MMH) and I was called in.
 

A few weeks ago the phone rang just as we finally sat down to enjoy the Finnish Pancakes together.....they were topped with honey, fruit, whipped cream. I love my son....I think you get that this breakfast is to die for so I might love this food a little more (just kidding).....I really love this breakfast.....OK.... ringing phone, and thanks to the miracle of caller ID, I see it's my mother.
 


My mother doesn't call often. Most of her calls are related to falls and visits to the ER. Anyway, I briefly thought of letting it go to voice mail before my common sense overruled my stomach. Of course, I was also torn because Ralph and I were trying to bond. I digress.....I answered. She asked if I was on call. I said no. I established she was OK and not in the hospital. Then nothing. She wasn't talking. Could it be she only called to find out if I was on call?

I'm a quiet eater, so I thought I could stay on the phone and quietly eat since she wasn't talking.....but then I wouldn't be able to talk with Ralph. I said to her, "Ralph and I just sat down to breakfast. I'll call you back." And guess what she said? You won't guess. She said, "No, that's OK."

So, that seals the deal. I am truly the black sheep of the family. And no, that is not a racist comment. Most of my friends are white.
 
 
See you soon........or not, if we're related and you live in Florida! 


No comments:

Post a Comment