Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rants and raves

There was another STEMI alert at Manatee Memorial Hospital early Tuesday morning. The team and the doctor made 30 minutes from EMS EKG to balloon time in the cardiac cath lab. That is some majorly rapid response time! It was a young woman, and I'm sure she's on her way home by now with a new lease on life. I have to say, that of all the places I've worked, working in the cardiac cath lab provides the best job satisfaction. In no other area of nursing does one see such prompt response to care. And really, helping others to get on the road to recovery is what nursing is all about!

After work today, I had to stop at Sam's to get gas and do some grocery shopping. A shopper asked me where they keep the hamburger patties. It happens all the time, street clothes or hospital scrubs, doesn't matter what kind of store, I am always mistaken for an employee of that particular store. Is it because I look so confident and capable? Can't be my laid back demeanor, because believe me, I hate to shop and it's hard to imagine that these other shoppers even find me approachable.  I fly around the store and try to 'get 'er done' as quickly as possible.

Typically, I would like to plow over the "snackers" at Sam's who clog the isles eagerly devourly those two ounce samples that are given out. Really, I just have not reached the point in life where I consider shopping to be a leisurely activity! And snacking while I shop just doesn't do it for me...I'd rather save the snacking for those midnight excusions into the kitchen to get ice cream and chocolate chips. No, I do not do that every night. It's a rare occurrence.  After all, I try to eat a heart heathy diet and live a heart healthy life.

I do remember a time about 20 years ago when Target first came to Sarasota. My sister, Donna, still lived here, and by some stroke of luck she agreed to go with me to check out the new store. She and I used to do a lot together, and not all of it revolved around the Cabana Inn and Playground South. We'd go to concerts, visit our grandmother, she'd watch me clean up the yard of those 18" long pine needles after tropical storms,  and of course, shop. That day we went to Target, though, was probably the last time she ever went shopping with me. I don't remember the attraction, but I literally spent hours mesmerized by everything in that store. I think she still has nighmares about it! God, I miss her, and I wish she was still living in Florida to do things with me. She now lives in Connecticut and we see each about once and sometimes twice a year.

And speaking of a heart healthy life, still no bike parts. I guess I could take a walk in place of my bike rides, but the pool was once again so inviting, that I went in the pool and read my book. And guess what? I forgot my hat, but I did apply the Sephora powder of the SPF 45 fame that I talked about yesterday. It works! I'm pleased to report with that product there are no lies in labeling.

Ralph and Deborah are working at Carmella's Casa Italiana today. From what I've seen tonight, it looks like business has been steady. Wendy Ross is filling in for John Scalzi on Channel 7 and reporting the weather. She paints a rosy picture, so I'm surprised there isn't more tourist action at the restaurant. She makes Florida sound so lovely, I'm confident flocks of tourists will arrive any day now. It's a week till our 4th year anniversary party so I hope they get here soon to help us celebrate. I'm still expecting Stephen King, and of course, all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment