Monday, October 3, 2011

Google brings comeuppance

On Sunday, Ralph and I had our traditional yummy and fabulous breakfast of Finnish Pancakes. It’s been a family tradition for over a year now. The last few Sundays, we each said it was the best ever! Safe to say that I have finally mastered the recipe that I tweaked. Sunday was also our first day of opening the restaurant on Sundays. Hopefully the word spreads quickly.

Finnish Pancake served with honey, sliced peaches, and whipped cream!

Speaking of family traditions, my cousin Jackie hosted the 4th Annual Sperlunto Family Reunion at her house in Plymouth Meeting, PA on Saturday, September 24. My mother and both my sisters went. A wonderful time was had by all and I’m sorry I missed it. Deb and I can’t be away from the restaurant at the same time, and since I went the last two years, it was definitely her turn to go.

While she was there, my Connecticut sister read an article in the Philadelphia paper about the last episode of All My Children (AMC). If all you avid fans remember, that episode aired on Friday, September 23. Hope I’m not sending you into tears and withdrawal by broaching the subject. In any event, my sister said that in the newspaper article, it mentioned that in the final episode Erica “got her comeuppance.” As she was telling me this, my sister added, “Whatever that means!” 

Well, I know what it means. Comeuppance means that someone got what they deserve. But I felt it also carries another connotation, another je ne sais quo that I couldn’t convey or put my finger on so to speak, so I Googled it.

Yes, the word Google has moved from being not only a noun but also a verb. With the advent of the world wide web, you know, the information super-highway, comes a veritable wealth of information, not all of it accurate. We must "Google" to find it. Remember that: not all of it is accurate.

When I Googled ‘comeuppance’, this is what I found:
  1.            A punishment or retribution that one deserves; one's just deserts: "It's a chance to strike back at the critical brotherhood and give each his comeuppance for ...
  2.  ˌ   kʌmˈʌp əns/ Show Spelled[kuhm-uhp-uh ns] Show IPA. noun Informal. deserved reward or just deserts, usually unpleasant: He finally got his comeuppance ...
  3.      comeuppance n. A punishment or retribution that one deserves; one's just deserts: 'It's a chance to strike back at the critical brotherhood and give.
  4.      See comeuppance in American Heritage Dictionary 4. noun. A punishment or retribution that one deserves; one's just deserts: “It's a chance to strike back at the ...
  5.      Definition of comeuppance , meaning of comeuppance , Comeuppance - 1 deserts, comeuppance, comeupance an outcome that is well deserved. 

There were more entries, but this is enough to prove my point.

OK. Do you see the common mistake? It was repeated over and over, so much so, that I began to doubt myself. (Praying, God, please don’t let me doubt myself!)

You’ll remember that a few weeks ago I blogged about Blue Bell ice cream I bought, flavor Dessert Trio. Ralph had some, and the next day he told me how “Three Deserts” was now his favorite ice cream. I teased him, asked if that was desert as in the Mohave Desert, and went on to say in the blog that although he doesn’t talk much, sometimes he’s a hoot. (As an aside, Ralph wasn’t very happy about my comment.)

So, the moral of the story is, be careful with the information that  you Google. Make sure it’s accurate. Oh, I never did discover the other element of comeuppance that I couldn't quite define.

On another note, it seems the more information that is available to us, the less we know. It used to be that it was acceptable to say to someone regarding a question for which we didn’t have the answer, “I don’t know, but I’ll find out and get back to you.”

Not so much anymore. Whenever I ask questions and  the person doesn’t know the answer, all I hear is “I don't know, Google it.”

The last time someone said, "I don't know, Google it" to me, I responded, "Kiss my a--."


The startled reply was, “What’s that supposed to mean?”


Innocently, I said, “I don’t know, Google It."

Hmmmm, sounds like comeuppance and just desserts to me, or is it deserts?

No comments:

Post a Comment