Saturday, September 24, 2011

The power of lavender oil

I'm confused. If you know me, you might be surprised, or not. In actuality, I spend a lot of my time these days being confused. For instance, I ponder how much litter my new litter box requires, why we serve great food at affordable prices with outstanding customer service at Carmella's Casa Italiana yet the numbers are in the red zone, why my cats get along with the cockatiels but not with each other, why Jiggy remains stressed and restarted the inappropriate urination, what to do with my excess furniture now that I bought new furniture, why my supervisor dislikes me most of the time and makes my life miserable at work, why the techs in the cardiac cath lab think it's acceptable to tell multiple nurses and thus nurses not involved in a case to get medications for the patient in the case they are monitoring, why does everything have to be "Made in China," why John Graham-Cumming says not to set a goal to blog everyday and Seth Godin says to blog everyday, why my ex-husband despises me, why my mother remarried, why one dessert rose bloomed all summer and the other one doesn't even have one bud, why the people who read my blog don't follow it, why my daughter poisons the minds of her twins against me, why some people married to exceptionally good people do stupid things that threaten their marriage, why the good die young, why All My Children (AMC) had to end, and on and on. Now I'm getting depressed.

 

Let's take that last area of confusion. I've been watching AMC for many years, too many years to mention. In the beginning, I watched it live, then I recorded it on tapes, and over the last few years, I used my DVR. Why did it have to end? That's what I watch at night while I'm unwinding and trying to go to sleep. This would be after my prayers, which typically don't take very long. I pray for my family, friends, business, pets, dearly departed, world peace, and for lots of money. I wrap up the praying in a few minutes. Then I tune the DVR to AMC and typically fall asleep before it's over. Since I set the television timer for 2315, I don't even have to wake up to turn off the TV.


So now that the last episode aired on Friday, September 23, what the heck am I going to watch to fall asleep? Several nights ago I sent a text to my Connecticut sister telling her the last episode was airing on Friday. She responded, "I stopped watching in 1999." I told her I know that, I just thought that as an ex-fan we could commiserate.

Deb, my other sister, watches Dr. Oz all the time and loves the show. I wonder if  recording Dr. Oz is an option. Could I conceivably fall asleep to his show? Would I be plagued with guilt over the few unhealthy aspects of my lifestyle? For instance, I discovered sea salt and now I salt all my food. Well, not my pasta or pizza, just the chicken, corn, and stuffing. Would the guilt keep me awake? Would I then suffer an exacerbation of my insomnia? I fall asleep to Erica and all the other misfits in Pine Valley, but I don't stay asleep.  I sure as heck don't want both problems: staying sleep and falling asleep.

One of the things that keeps me awake is the inappropriate urination (by Jiggy) and cat fights. During a fitful night's sleep, it occurred to me to buy lavender oil, chamomile calm for kids, and a new litter box. I put the new litter box and a pad soaked with lavender oil in the hall where the inappropriate urination occurs. I put the chamomile calm in their wet food that I feed them in the morning. Let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted if the problem is solved. Now I'll ponder if you even care if the problem is solved.

If that problem is solved, will my insomnia be cured? Hmmmmmm, probably not, because there are still all those other areas of confusion, like why my ex-husband despises me and is there any chance he'll come to Florida and do some home repairs for me. Right, I know, dream on, and stop losing sleep over that! Plus, as if that's not bad enough, the lavender oil is lolling Ralph into a state of peace and serenity and it's putting him to sleep at odd moments, like right before he has to leave for work. OK, that's a gross exaggeration of the truth!

So, should I put the lavender oil in my room, and if I do, will I be able to wake up for work? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment