Saturday, April 28, 2012

Not your typical Friday afternoon

There I was yesterday afternoon, lying on the sofa, sort of multi-tasking and just generally loving life. It was Friday and I got out of Manatee Memorial Hospital at a decent time and I'm not on-call. I was Googling my restaurant to see how it's doing in the search engines. I was marveling at the smooth transition of moving from Verizon phone service to MagicJack Plus. I was playing Words with Friends. I was doing a few other things...all from the comfort of my sofa.


Suddenly, I saw an older partially balding grey haired man with a brown leather carry-all walking along my front patio to the front door. You might be asking yourself, "What is a brown leather carry-all?" I don't know! A man purse? Anyway, he proceeded to the front door, rang the door bell, looked in the front window, then started pacing around the patio.


I know all this because there are no curtains on my front window. I have beautiful Jasmine, which at this time are in full bloom, growing up two trellises that act as a barrier from the street. Once you're on the patio, though, there's no barrier...but the windows are tinted, so people can't see in.

Ralph wasn't home. I just wasn't sure I wanted to answer the door when a stranger was on the other side. I toyed with the idea of going up to get my 9mm; but really, on a beautiful relaxing Friday, was I really ready for a gun fight?

Of course, we're talking older grey haired partially balding stranger. If he was tall, 10 or 20 years younger, and handsome with long hair, I might have answered the door...in my negligee. Does anyone wear a negligee at 5:30 in the afternoon? Oh, I digress.


OK, in fairness to Ralph, we practically never answer the door. I don't want you to think I put Ralph in jeopardy by having him answer the door to strangers. We especially NEVER answer the door on Saturday morning when those three women are out there. We know who they are and what they want. No, they aren't dangerous. Well, at least not physically dangerous.


So, I didn't answer the door. I just continued to lie on the sofa and watch him. He eventually turned away, made a call on his cell phone, and started talking. Then he got in his car, which was parked on the street and not in the driveway, and drove away.


My philosophy is this: if you are unexpected and uninvited, you are unwelcome...unless you are family or friend!

What do you think? What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment