Sunday, November 13, 2011

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Hi there! I've been outta the loop, but not outta touch! There's a lot going on, and I have my finger on the pulse of the happenings. Among other things, business has picked up at CCI (Carmella's Casa Italiana). It started on, of all nights, Halloween! I wish every night was Halloween! The plans for redecorating and improvements continue, and everything is nailed down except for the paint color. C'mon in and see the progress. Don't wait until it's all completed to see what we are up to. Oh, you could even help select the paint color!

We've been really busy with other projects at the Casa. We introduced home made cannelloni. We still have the raffle for the CCI tote bag for those who order the fried ravioli appetizer. I updated all the menus. And last but not least, it's soup season, so we have soup: Minestrone to warm your innards.


Yes! The early birds, snow birds, and cuckoo birds are here. Wait....the cuckoo birds are always here. At least that's what Deb tells me. I depend on her for a lot of my information, like the latest scandal on honey. But I digress......and honey scandals are beyond the scope of this blog.

I managed to take many bike rides, and so far my personal best is 22.5 miles. Typically, my rides range from 18-22.5 miles. I forgot about the time change on Monday, so I arrived home in the dark. Tried to cut it short; but if you know me, you know how it goes. On Wednesday, I bought two flash lights to carry with me so the next time darkness falls and I'm out there, I'll be better prepared. The wicker basket and low level of my seat (I'm petite) precludes mounting front and rear lights.

 How cute is he?!

And speaking of better prepared, you know those spandex biker shorts? I thought they were an expensive luxury to look hot while riding a bike. Not so! Apparently, since I ride 2-7 times a week, that makes me an enthusiast. I don't know the classification for those who ride once a week and more than eight times a week...perhaps once a week is a wannabe and more than 8 times a week is a lunatic. With all the free time I've recently acquired, I can easily see myself becoming a lunatic. In any event, at this juncture, I'm an enthusiastic and now I wear those spandex biker shorts. My Connecticut sister would say I took up biking just so I could wear spandex again. Not so! Gave up spandex over 20 years ago and didn't figure I'd wear it again, or want to wear it again. Well, I couldn't be more wrong! I wear it and I wear it willingly.

Biking is more than popping up the kickstand and hopping on the seat. Just like running is more than donning a pair of sneakers. If you want the skinny on biking because you're thinking of taking up riding, feel free to give me a call. Among other things, I can give you the real scoop on how to prevent blisters in unmentionable places.

With CCI and my position at the hospital, you're probably wondering how I can progress from a biking enthusiast to a biking lunatic. Very easy. Suddenly, I have an abundance of free time and energy. I was informed at the hospital that "people" are watching my call time and my hours. As though I'm not neurotic enough, now I'm paranoid about these "people" who are watching me.

I thought I was being a flexible and dependable employee by volunteering to cover call or fill in for sick co-workers. Since these "people" are watching me, that's no longer required. I take my assigned call and I leave when the work is complete or when 3:30 pm arrives, whichever comes first. I'm not expected to stay late or come in early. The pressure is off. I go to bed without feeling completely exhausted and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the new day.

Yet these "people" are watching me. Who are these "people?" Some individuals have voices in their heads. Do you think the person who told me about the watchers has "people" in the head. Could these "people" be the cuckoo birds that Deb talks about? If you ask me, it sounds really crowded up there.



My abundance of free time and energy is a gift; and we all know not to look a gift horse in the mouth.


 Hope to see you soon! Stop in, the food is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment